Product & process development manager (ENG)
Process & Product Development
Posted on 25-06-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Electro-Optic Materials
Power in space. Vision at night. Coatings thinner than human hair. Umicore is a world leader in germanium material solutions for the space, optics and electronics sectors – enabling every day cutting-edge technologies. We guarantee our customers secure access to supply, plus recycling technologies that give materials a new lease of life. To produce materials with even higher performance, and provide recycling to new markets, we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new processes. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
You will be part of the Strategic Business Development team within the business unit Electro-Optic Materials. As a Process and Product Development Manager, you will work on the development of our next generation germanium engineered substrate to answer to the needs of high efficiency photovoltaics for the aerospace market. You will lead and implement the development of an electrochemical process from R&D to initial industrialization. Your assignment will be to transfer the expertise and know-how from external R&D partners and suppliers to the Umicore context and integrate them into a robust industrial process!
Your detailed reponsibilities:
- You coordinate transfer of knowledge between the different stakeholders to ensure timely industrialization of new technologies
- You build up the electrochemistry proficiency in the organisation
- You will develop, prioritize and follow-up the development projects within a defined framework:
- Leading Umicore R&D contributions in public-funded projects
- You handle the intellectual property and design for manufacturing aspects of the new product/process development efforts
- You summarize and present the acquired results (reports/presentations/meetings)
- You manage the development of required process steps/modules in a pilot line together with other Umicore colleagues and external parties such as equipment vendors
- You acquire an international network of external research partners and potential suppliers
- Further you develop competence area by following the latest developments and proven best practices within that area through networking and/or external partnerships
Who we are looking for
- You hold a Ph.D. in Physics, Chemistry, Materials science or related field. Electrochemistry background is a strong plus.
- You have minimum 3 years hands-on experience in a pioneering fab in process engineering using state-of-the art process equipment
- You are able to understand process integration flows as well as do hands-on process step and module development
- You have good knowledge of tools available on the market and the ability to define selection criteria and select is important.
- You work according to a well-structured project management methodology and can define clear goals.
- You are used to work with priorities and you can handle stress adequately.
- You have excellent reporting skills and are able to present results in a clear and concise way.
- Eye for detail but also able to take high-level perspective when appropriate
- In view of the international environment, good English communication skills are required. The knowledge of Dutch is an advantage. Or you are willing to learn it quickly.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our germanium solutions can help provide power in space, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO