Operational Manager Lead Refinery
Precious Metals Refining
Posted on 17-05-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About Precious Metals Refining
The world’s resources are scarce. Umicore’s refining and recycling technology gives used metals a new lease of life. We are experts in treating the most complex materials from around the world. Our processes help bring value to the circular economy and reduce environmental impacts. To recover more metal from different types of material we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new processes. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
Purpose of function
Within the framework of the policy and strategy of the operational unit Lead Refinery, you are responsible for the process and the daily operations to deliver excellent key performance indicators of the unit. Together with the production staff, your priority is to ensure extraordinary environmental and safety performance! You continuously increase process robustness and maintain operational flexibility for our customers.
Your main responsibilities:
- You run the day to day business of the Lead refinery and are fully responsible for the realization of the daily KPI’s. Environmental performance and safety are absolute top priorities.
- You inspire your team to improve operational excellence in all its dimensions.
- You lead the communication process with the production staff (incl. maintenance) and with colleagues from administration, operations, sampling and logistics.
- You translate the priorities for the whole plant into an action plan and deploy this to the floor.
- You assist and help to improve environmental, health and safety processes and the quality system to reduce QEHS risks.
- You control, intervene, and adjust the processes when input conditions change. You minimize intermediate stocks.
- You improve the availability of your installation and minimize maintenance costs.
- You assure and increase the metallurgical and chemical knowledge of the processes in order to deliver excellent quality of the final products and to improve the flexibility towards supply.
- You are responsible for transferring the knowledge as well for training & development of the operational team (white and blue collars).
- You define and lead projects in collaboration with R&I and CRD. You assist and prepare the technical content of the innovation board meetings. You assist on the analysis of the unbundling of the compentence GAPS related to projects and to the setup of the gap closing programs.
- You are responsible for hiring, training, development and coaching of white and blue collars.
- You lead the opex budget of the unit.
- You take up the responsibility for the whole plant operations as Engineer on Duty, up to 2 weeks per year and you participate in the crisis organization up to 7 times per year.
Who we are looking for
- You hold a master degree in chemical, materials or (electro)mechanical engineering.
- You have several years of leadership or operational experience.
- You are a born people manager and natural leader that can motivate the team.
- You have a solid interest and are willing to learn the processes in the lead refinery. A background in metallurgy and/or chemistry is a plus.
- You are common with practical requirements of environmental, health and safety issues.
- You master good communication skills: presentation, receptivity, persuasion.
- You are a decision maker with a systematic approach and an effective problem solver.
- You excel as a team player who is both quality and customer minded.
- You quickly synthesize data and you come to clear conclusions.
- You show stress resistance and commitment to results.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
IF OUR RECYCLING TEAMS CAN HELP TACKLE RESOURCE SCARCITY, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?