Open Innovation Manager Battery Materials North America
United States, Auburn Hills_ USA
New Business Incubation
Engineering, Process & Product Development, Applied Technology
Posted on 25-06-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. Supported by the global megatrends of resource scarcity, vehicle electrification and the need for cleaner air quality, our activities primarily focus on three areas: recycling, electrification and clean air. In doing so, we put our teams at the cutting edge of materials science, chemistry and metallurgy. Our pioneering approach to sustainability has got us to where we are today, but we know we can’t stand still. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About New Business Incubation (NBI)
Umicore’s commitment to creating a sustainable future relies on innovation in all areas of business. As we keep pushing our boundaries and strive to set new industry standards, embracing advanced technologies has never been more essential. By finding these technologies we can navigate challenges and enhance our capabilities. By sharing different ideas, we can develop new business units or establish new divisions within our organization. This is where contribution and collaboration are the drivers of real change. Where individual thought is identified, incubated and nurtured for growth in years to come. There is still so much potential waiting to be unearthed. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
• Developing Umicore innovation ecosystem for Lithium-ion battery materials in North America
• Responsible for technology monitoring and technology development collaboration projects (start-up, companies, academia) in North America
• Connecting internal teams and leveraging opportunities to cross-link ideas and solutions
• You will keep yourself aware of the latest relevant technology developments through ecosystem monitoring, scientific literature & patent review, participation to conferences and visits and meetings with universities, research institutes, start-ups, and industrial partners.
• Identify technology opportunities for Umicore and make recommendations on potential collaboration projects.
• Setting up and manage joint projects with technology partners. You follow-up and report (internally & externally) on the execution of the open innovation projects and you regularly align with the internal programs
• Become a reference resource to internal teams and external partners in the technical domain and geographic area
Who we are looking for
Education and Technical Background
- PhD or equivalent experience in materials science, solid-state chemistry/physics, electrochemistry or chemical engineering
- A good fundamental knowledge of Lithium-ion batteries technology and science
- Experience in the Lithium-ion battery industry and understanding of the technology, ecosystem and market is required
- Ability to analyze numerical data, access and summarize information and share knowledge and expertise with others.
- Excellent communication skills, who are good relationship builders and have the ability to proactively build networks of contacts inside and outside of the organization
- Transversal management skills and the ability to align internal teams and external partners
- Willingness to travel within North America
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
Candidates from any part of the US are welcome to apply!
The work location is flexible within the US. We have offices in Auburn Hills, MI and Raleigh, NC where the candidate could work.
Umicore is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, disability, veteran status, pregnancy status, or other status protected by law.
If you need assistance in applying for this position please contact Denise Daley at email@example.com or by calling 919.874.7170.
IF OUR RESEARCH CAN HELP TACKLE SOME OF THE WORLD'S MOST PRESSING CHALLENGES, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?