Intellectual Assets Manager
New Business Incubation
Engineering, Business Development
Posted on 25-06-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About New Business Incubation (NBI)
NBI is leads Umicore’s efforts to identify and incubate next generation disruptive technologies with the aim of creating new business opportunities. In close collaboration with the business units and Corporate R&D, NBI covers Umicore technology innovation roadmap for the medium and long term. There is still so much potential waiting to be unearthed. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
With the fast growth of rechargeable battery materials market worldwide, the competitive landscape is expected, over the next years, to evolve from small to medium Asian companies to global giant companies. To reflect this evolution, and in order to further grow its business presence and secure its future market position, NBI battery team is looking at strengthening its skills in the intellectual property (IP) management field. In this role you will report to the Sr Innovation Director NBI Battery.
Your main responsibilities:
- Be the key contact for all NBI Battery IP related matters and he will manage NBI Battery intellectual property assets.
- Define & steer the implementation of the IP plans and strategy together with management.
- Support, guide and advise NBI/CRD/RBM teams and Corporate IP/legal teams on specific Battery IP strategy and tactics as well as on IP related legal cases.
- In collaboration with Corporate and RBM IP teams, you will further build and implement unit processes & guidelines to manage IP and provide IP expertise and advise to the R&D, M&S, Applied technology, open innovation teams regarding IP protection opportunities, patentability and FTO matters…etc.
- Be in charge of acquisition/sale of strategic IP and associated follow up (contracts, financials…).
- Develop patent strategies in line with unit’s objectives. Analyse and value the IP position of the NBI Battery product portfolio. Plan, develop and execute IP based business concepts for protection of unit’s IP and market position. Market, execute and follow up commercialization strategies for IP. Manage IP related legal cases
- Primary responsibility for managing communication with senior management and legal/IP counsels for all IP related matters (filing and prosecuting, opinions, business or legal operations).
- Responsible for IP financials, including IP budget and expenditure, licensing costs/profits and inventors’ remuneration policies.
Who we are looking for
- A Master degree or Phd in engineering or science with ideally experience in the field of solid-state chemistry, and more specifically of lithium-ion batteries
- Multiple years’ experience with technology transfer, intellectual property management and protection, and commercializing technologies. Ideally patent agent
- Good fundamental understanding of chemistry, ideally materials chemistry
- Working knowledge of international laws regarding intellectual property and commercialization processes
- Proficient in use of on-line databases and computer software programs specific to patents
- Fluent in English (in both spoken and written communication) and any other languages like German, French, Mandarin, Korean, Japanese as a plus
- Strongly developed logic and critical thinker
- Good interrelationship skills, ability to proactively build functional relations inside and outside the company
- Good financials and negotiation skills combined with a good business sense
- Ability to work autonomously and to take initiatives
- Strong Team player with high level of engagement and commitment
- Willingness to travel worldwide
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our battery materials can power electric vehicles, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO