Datawarehouse engineer and BI expert
Posted on 25-06-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
About our Support Functions, IT and others
A global organisation. It’s not just those in our industrial sites and technical centres that are vital to Umicore’s growth. Across our support functions we ensure that we continue to grow and evolve – whether it’s by making sure our decisions are commercially viable, enhancing our reputation, building new customer relationships or finding the right people who can build on what we’ve already achieved. The variety of our work means we cannot stand still. We need to find new ways to do things, discover new solutions and develop new ideas. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
Umicore is developing a modern data platform with the objective to maximize business insight and utilize data for added value digital initiatives at Umicore Group and Business Unit level.
As Data Warehouse Engineer, you will be located in the BI Center of Excellence and play a key technical role in building and maintaining data analytics and data science solutions: you will analyze requirements, define conceptual data models, develop and support analytical models using TimeXtender and Power BI; or other Azure technologies, such as Data Factory and Databricks.
Your detailed responsibilities:
- Your role in projects:
- Work in close collaboration with the project manager, the business key users and the BI analyst in the definition of the best conceptual data model
- Build best-in-class ETL packages and dimensional models for self-service BI solutions
- Build best-in-class visualizations with Power BI
- Define test scenario and perform unit and integration testing
- In some cases, act also as project manager and / or BI analyst
- Coordinate efforts with external consultants
- Your role in going concern:
- Maintain and administer global and local aspects of ETL solutions (TimeXtender)
- Maintain and administer global and local aspects of visualization solutions (Power BI)
- Provide first level and second level support. Coordinate third level support with solution supplier
- Support the business needs in a timely and efficient manner demonstrating a sense of urgency, tenacity and commitment to quality and excellence
- Manage incoming demands on enhancements of existing applications: analyze request, organize functional analysis, estimate and plan developments
- Participate to the Data Engineer circle and share best practices
- Care for continuous optimization of ETL scheduling
Location will be Brussels. Occasional travel to other Umicore sites (national & international) will be required.
Who we are looking for
- You hold a master in information technology sciences, mathematics or economy, with a minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience in the ETL and datawarehouse domains; and / or in the Business Intelligence domain
- You have excellent analytical design skills and strong knowledge about dimensional modeling
- Good understanding of self-service BI governance
- You can rely on technical knowledge in the following
- Data visualization: Power BI (optional: Qlik Sense)
- Data warehouse: Azure SQL Server, Azure Data Lake
- ETL: TimeXtender (optional: Azure Data Factory, Azure Databricks)
- You have a mature, assertive and dynamic personality, with excellent interpersonal skills
- You are a team player with strong communication skills and with a collaborative spirit
- You are customer oriented, result driven & focused on delivering quality
- You are organized and plan your work taking into account business priorities
- Interest in and exposure to industrial activities, processes and technology
- You are fluent in English and either Dutch or French. German is a plus
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?
If our pioneering approach can make us a leader in sustainability, IMAGINE WHAT YOU COULD DO?