Quality and Environment
Umicore is committed to continually improving our ability to supply the highest quality of products to our customers by following ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 standards. We accomplish this through continued operational excellence, defect free products which consistently meet our customers given expectations, as well as on time delivery. The contact testing laboratory is equipped with the latest test equipment. This test equipment, together with the associated instrumentation and test procedures are maintained to provide the highest level of technical capability possible.
The contact testing laboratory is designed for a broad range of capabilities from carrying out tests of our customer's switchgear to answering basic material science questions. We provide the training and tools necessary to have the most quality focused and productive work force available. Materials for alternating current applications can be rapidly tested in our basic model switches at currents up to several thousand amperes. We also have equipment that allows rapid evaluation of materials for automotive applications.
In addition, customer technical cooperation projects can be designed to optimize the interaction between the contact material and the switch equipment design using Umicore’s unique and diverse analysis and test capabilities.
With Umicore's Applied Technology Department we offer technical support that goes far beyond the selection of Contact Materials.
The Umicore Environmental Management System minimizes impact to the environment in the definition, design, manufacture, support, and use of our solutions (products, activities, and services) by reusing, recycling, and adopting processes that conserve raw materials, energy, and water. Cisco is committed to:
- Compliance with relevant environmental legislation, regulations, and other requirements to meet customer and community needs and expectations
- Promoting the prevention of pollution
- Continual improvement of our environmental management system
The Umicore Environmental Management System is a continual cycle of planning, implementing, reviewing, and improving Cisco processes and actions to meet its environmental obligations. It serves as a vehicle to ensure that activities, products, and services conform to the ISO 14001 standard and environmental requirements.
Environmental Programs and Resources
Umicore has implemented various environmental programs to help minimize our impact on the environment and achieve our environmental objectives:
- Waste Reduction and Recycling - Helps to make Umicore an environmentally responsible company by using the principles of reducing, reusing, and recycling.
- Scrap Management – Umicore recycles all waste components in the manufacturing processing several facilities throughout the world to be used again in the future.
- Hazardous Materials Management - Ensures safe and proper management of hazardous materials and waste, including their handling, disposal, storage, and shipment, as well as ensuring compliance with company and legal requirements pertaining to the management of hazardous waste.
- Energy Management - Focuses on improving energy efficiency in building design and construction, energy conservation best practices in existing and future facilities, reducing energy costs through long-term price contracts, identifying opportunities in new and innovative programs offered through utility companies and with local, state, and national agencies, and on continuously raising energy awareness among our employees.