Automation Technology Engineer
China, Shanghai - RHQ
New Business Incubation
Research & Development
Posted on 25-06-2022
Reducing harmful vehicle emissions. Giving new life to used metals. Powering the cars of the future. As a global materials and technology group, we apply our specialist knowledge to offer materials and solutions that are essential to everyday life. We aim to be a clear world leader in materials for clean mobility and recycling and have turned our sustainability approach into an even greater competitive advantage. With ambitions like this, imagine what you could do?
Umicore’s commitment to creating a sustainable future relies on innovation in all areas of business. As we keep pushing our boundaries and strive to set new industry standards, embracing advanced technologies has never been more essential. By finding these technologies we can navigate challenges and enhance our capabilities. By sharing different ideas, we can develop new business units or establish new divisions within our organisation. This is where contribution and collaboration are the drivers of real change. Where individual thought is identified, incubated and nurtured for growth in years to come. There is still so much potential waiting to be unearthed. Which is where you come in.
What you will be doing
- Technical responsible and owner for the pilot system projects of smart automation and robotization in collaboration with the business units’ user department and external system provider:
- Leading system design by precisely translating the user departments’ use case requirement into system specification while balancing process requirements, layout constraints, cost, and lead time limits.
- Technical responsible for selecting the suitable external system/sub-system/module/component provider.
- System owner during the end-to-end system implementation and commissioning phase in collaboration with the internal corresponding departments and external suppliers.
- Keep a system overview by ensuring the seamless integration of other domain engineer/expert’s contribution.
- Collaborating with internal business IT application team for the integration with existing Manufacturing execution system (MES) and/or Lab information management system (LIMS).
- Responsible for technical transfer of the pilot project to the user department for further rolling out.
- Inspire the BUs and identify synergies between the BUs by (1) showcasing use cases of one BU to other BUs or (2) showcasing external use cases within Umicore. You will work closely with other members of the Center of Expertise for Digital Technologies and corporate digitalization team to define priorities and roadmaps for implementation.
- You will follow-up on the latest software and hardware developments of the smart and autonomous automation and robotization technologies including:
- Flexible and modular system design and integration
- Cloud-based automation and control platform
- Software and hardware platform for automation station, multi-axis manipulator, and autonomous mobile robot
- Lab automation equipment for functional material chemical processes
- Industrial IoT system with wired/wireless industrial communication network
Who we are looking for
- You have a minimum of bachelor degree in robotics and automation control, mechatronics engineering, electrical engineering, information and communications technology or an equivalent degree.
- You have at least 3-5 years of experience in system integration for automation control and robotization ideally within the Umicore relevant industries.
- Capable of managing complex technical projects within time, budget, and defined scopes.
- Knowledge of chemical lab automation and process systems for milling, firing, wet- and solid-synthesis, and/or characterization is a huge plus.
- You have expertise in one or more software platform for collaborative and mobile robot controlling system, PLC/DCS/SCADA controlling system, real-time operation system (RTOS), and embedded system
- You have working knowhow in one or more hardware platform technologies for motion control, multi-axis manipulator, vision systems, and PLC/DCS/SCADA hardware.
- Highly skilled in common industrial networking architecture and fieldbus communication protocols.
- Capable of designing some mechatronic tooling and fixture for automation and robot system, e.g., multi-purpose gripper and jaw design.
- Willingness to extend the technology competence in one of the area like plug-and-work intuitive system design utilizing software programming, cloud-based remote control system, closed-loop autonomous controlling platform for multiple collaborative mobile robots.
What we offer
We aim to lead the way. Not just for our customers, but for our employees too. That is why we strive to create a collaborative environment in which we can all succeed, and a culture through which we can all share ideas, develop our expertise and advance our careers. We engage in building an inclusive work culture that offers equal opportunities for all employees irrespective of their diverse backgrounds. As you would expect from a world-leading organisation, we will also reward your contribution with a competitive salary and benefits. With all this and more, imagine what you could do?